Attributes are critical part to many stores, and even more important if your store carries store-owned or non-consigned inventory. They essentially create what are commonly referred to as "variants." So if you decide to carry an entire line of products that come in a variety of colors and sizes, you no longer have to inventory every single one individual SKU. You can just enter the parent product, and create as many variants of that product as necessary.
Variants are broken down into two parts: Attributes and Values.
Attributes are the categories for every variant you would like to create. For example, you could create the attribute of Shoe Size or Colorway.
The values are different options you create for each attribute. So if we create a Shoe Size attribute, our values could be 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, etc.
While it is easy to want to create tons of different attributes and values, it is strongly recommended to be careful and intentional when creating these. Only choose common choices such as size or color.
If you want to organize your products by other details such as fabric type, men's or women's, youth, season, etc, it is recommended to create those designations as a category or sub category rather than a variant.
To create and edit product attributes:
- Go to Preferences > Product
- Click the "Attributes" tab.
- You can add or delete attributes using the yellow + or red x icons.
- Create an new attribute and assign it a name (ex: Color).
- Set the values (ex: Blue, Red, Green). You can rearrange the order of attribute values by dragging them to their appropriate position.
- Click "Save" when finished.
You can now select and assign these attributes to your inventory when adding or editing a product.